When did it all start? And who is Louis Jacob anyway? A confectioner with a seafaring passion starts the gastronomic tradition on Elbchaussee.
His name is Nikolaus Paridom Burmester. In 1780 he inherits house no. 401 from his mother. Soon he’s supplying Nienstedten with delicious delicacies. At the same time this amateur in pyrotechnics welcomes all incoming and outgoing vessels with salutes from a canon he’s built himself. You could be forgiven for thinking that this wasn’t a very good idea. When he ignites his canon in 1790 he causes an explosion that he pays for with his life. And his wife Maria Elisabeth is all on her own with the lucrative confectionery business.
Luckily during this period, French Huguenot Daniel Louis Jacques takes refuge here on the Elbe from the turmoil of the French revolution. He quickly falls in love with the beautiful confectioner’s widow, marries her in 1791 and lends a Germanic touch to his name by calling himself Louis Jacob. He was a trained landscape gardener and in the same year created the famous Lime Tree Terrace. From then on he too delights his guests with fine wine and food.